Monday, April 18, 2011

Feminist Rants – letters to man.


Man
Bother to read this will you? i know you won’t, but nobody can stop me from trying. A day will find you reading this and all the other letters from my sisters, the day you will drown deep in remorse and your own guilt.
Are you that bad? Maybe not, you are after all made from the same soil as me. I believe good prevails, I hope you won’t let me down.
I hate how your dominance becomes the world order. How my sufferings go hand in hand with your courageous feats. Why must I be only behind your success, I want to have that equal role. I hate your power it overshadows ours. Why can’t I be a part of your game?
I hate how you stare. Do you realize it works like an X-ray? Your gaze strips me off my dignity. Our body is ours alone, dare you become my master.
I hate how you leave for work and crush me under my own responsibilities. Am I a slave? These kids are not my kids alone. Why are you so indifferent? I have raised them well, I have accomplished my job and role, now I want to work, rather earn. “No. you are not a woman of the world”.                                             A woman of the world?
You are over possessive. I am not a trophy, I need to fly free. You time limits and curfews make no sense at all. The size of my clothes shrouds your thinking.  My skin needs to breathe.
I hate your labels. I hate how we wear pink you wear blue. I hate your expectations from us. I hate how you sell us in our marriages. I hate how you can marry another and forget me altogether. I hate getting a cold welcome when I am born. I hate how we become products in your thriving business. I hate being used.
I hate being submissive to your will. I hate being your toy. Most of all I hate accepting you are essential to my existence. I hate giving in.
I don’t want to hate you anymore. I know that once you did love me. That once I was the only creature of immense beauty to you. That I was the centre of your universe. This society never let us be. Isn’t love meant to last forever?
Let’s forget the in-betweens, let’s just focus on this relationship. Me and my sisters want equality. You can be my father, brother or fiancé, but I want this level playing field. I want your muscles, your brawn in return you could have my long hair, my soft skin. Give me your determination and grit, take my grace and belief. You could even take my motherhood; just give me your ‘respect’.




weeping woman- pablo picasso

also find me at www.thesaltlist.wordpress.com

2 comments:

  1. "All entries must have a link to http://facebook.com/sftimetochange " dear u forgot to add dis link .....btw nice post :)

    ReplyDelete